Monday, January 10, 2011

Ron Artest likes my art!

Hi, I was part of a killer show last month in Toronto. It was a show celebrating the career so far of Los Angeles Laker Ron Artest who is a larger than life personality. In his rookie season he took exception to a fan in Detroit and ran up into the seats and placed a beating on the guy; kinda like Mike Milbury of the Boston Bruins back in the late 70's. Well the legend was born then and as a result Artest received a year long suspension.

The show opened on the same night as I turned the big 40 and my lovely Miss Jane had made special plans for and so I didn't make the opening night festivities. Janie & I both drove into Toronto and caught the show a couple days afterwards. Where by the gallery informed me that Ron Artest did make a surprise appearance ( lakers were in town to play the raptors on the 19th ) and when he saw my piece he connected with it and that subversive humor that lives inside my art. My piece title "Devil Baller" was my way of capturing the on court persona of Artest and the Associations big man met my painting with a big smile when he came across it.

The sports channel The Score sent a reporter out to cover the opening & that is where this video comes from.

TBJ: Ron Artest crashes Ron Artest exhibit from The Basketball Jones on Vimeo.




Cheers,
B

1 comment:

Miss Jane said...

Unfortunately this night was on Brandon's birthday and we had other plans. However, in STEEN fashion he didn't want to miss out so in all the rush of commissions he was able to join this show. Glad to see the Artest has a sense of humour.